In anticipation of a new conflict with France, in 1896 German engineers devised a plan to build fortifications. About 10 km from the gates of Metz and the surroundings of Thionville. The works were divided into fortified groups called Festen. These forts served as defence bases for the German army during the fighting for the Liberation of Moselle in 1944. Guentrange Fort, the construction of which started in 1899, included three barracks: a large central structure and two secondary blocks to the north and south standing 200 metres above Thionville.